Head Challenger 130 ski boots
Head Challenger 130
Head has done it again. After huge success over recent seasons with Vector models, here is a brand new and even better model from the boot lab at Head. And, this new Challenger is the hallmark boot in this new collection, with all the best, and often unique features, that have made so many skiers soooo happy. At Proskiguy, we love, love, love ski boots. We like to study them. We like to test them. We understand them. But, seldom have we been so stoked about a new boot model coming through our door. This is the most amazing new boot to hit the market in quite some time.
So, what makes Challenger so special? It all starts with a proven shell shape that is similar to Vector (little bit of extra room in the toe box, but fits like a race boot through the instep and ankle area). Then add a Power Ski/Hike switch in the back to make this an All Terrain killer. Ski, walk, hike like you have only dreamed about in this incredibly versatile alpine ski boot. That's cool, but there's more. Adaptive Fit engineering allows the width of the forefoot to be changed with an easy turn of turn of a screw (located on the sole of the boot). Change the boot from a roomy 101mm width, to a closer 99mm fit in seconds. (These last numbers from size 26 shell). It's genius !!
As if a brand new shell isn't enough, Challenger also adds a new and improved liner technology/material that is exclusive to Head ski boots. PerfectFit uses a proprietary new foam that is more supportive, more comfortable, and endlessly customizable. As with all Head boots, it can be skied right out of the box. It is amazing that something so firm can feel so instantly comfortable at the same time. But, it can also be heated to speed up the process of molding to your foot. And, it can be heated over and over if you desire.
Head elevates their high performance, all mountain category to new levels with the new Challenger series. And, the 130 model shown here is the top boot in this collection, and packed with all the tech Head can deliver in one model. SpineFlex buckles, Double Booster power strap, PerfectFit HP Pro liner, Adaptive Fit feature. No other boot offers any of these features, unless it is a Head ski boot.
The Challenger 130 is an all new, amazing model. It offers top performance for the most aggressive skier, but in a design that fits incredibly well out of the box, and is state of the art in terms of "all day" comfort. And now, you can go uphill with ease and enjoy world class performance on the way down. There just aren't many boots on the market that fit so many feet, and ski as well as Challenger. Check out these features of the new Head Challenger 130:
- Bi Injected Shell- Harder and softer plastics are used in different zones as needed to improve fit, comfort and performance. For instance, the flaps over the instep area are softer, allowing the shell to wrap over and close tightly on the top of the foot. The lower shell area is stiffer plastic, allowing for maximum energy transfer to the ski area.
- Power Ski/Hike mechanism is unlike any other on the market. Designed into the back of the boot with a metal on metal connection when closed, it also features tabs on the back of the lower shell that fit into matching slots in the upper cuff. When the upper cuff is locked into place, these tabs prevent the slot in the back of the boot from flexing, and maintaining the match of the upper cuff to lower shell just as if there was no unlocking feature. The result is powerful performance without the compromise found on many boots that offer a walk/hike mode.
- Adaptive Fit feature is unique to Head boots. A slot is located in the bottom of the sole (underneath the replaceable toe section). Turning a screw head that is connected to a cam pulls this slot closed. The forefoot of the boot narrows by 2mm when in the closed position.
- PerfectFit HP Pro Liner - A ultra performance fit liner that is also very comfortable. Head has discovered a new, proprietary foam material that is both more comfortable, and more supportive at the same time. Although it can be heated to speed up the time it takes to conform to the foot, there really is no need to do any custom heat process. The liner included here is the firmest, snuggest liner in the Challenger series, and absolutely top of the market compared to any other boots. This very technical liner is designed to work with the Challenger shell shape, with minimum gaps between liner and shell, and stiffer materials through the heel and upper shaft to make the boot more responsive edge to edge. It is also designed to flex with the upper cuff as the boot articulates in Hike Mode. It can be heated over and over almost without limitations to mold to your foot if desired (but this is certainly not necessary as it fits great out of the box).
- Flex Index is 130 - Stiffest, most aggressive Challenger model available. There is enough support for the most aggressive skier, but it also has more comfort than good skiers are often used to. The flex is nice and springy, and the stroke of the boot is long for absorbing terrain at high speed. It is also very easy to get in and out of.
- 40 mm Double Power Booster Strap acts as a pulley for better closure around the leg. And, the Booster (elastic) feature makes the boot springier and more dynamic from turn to turn. This is the only non-race model from Head that offers the Double Power Booster strap.
- Adjustable Spoiler - A Velcro spoiler behind the leg can be removed to make the top of the boot larger, or moved to any location necessary to improve support. The fit around the top of the leg is very important for a performance skier
- 101-91 mm adjustable shell shape - Although this number would indicate this boot is wider than many other performance boots on the market, the Challenger 130 still has a very close fit throughout, but with extra space in the toe box. The ankle fit, heel width, and heel/instep circumference are nice and snug. Slightly narrower in the toe box than the 103mm Vector series.
- Double Power Lever SpineFlex Buckles- are flexible to follow the contour of the boot as it closes. No other buckle wraps around the shell like SpineFlex, and provides such an even distribution of pressure. Double Power levers can be flipped out on the upper buckles, making them super easy to close tightly while standing on the skis.
- Dual Cuff Cant Alignment - Allows the upper cuff of the boot to be aligned so that your feet are flat on the snow.
How does the Challenger 130 fit? Very comfortable and supportive fit for the average foot right out of the box, with a good amount of toe room. A little roomier inside than most other boots at this performance level. Firm, close fitting liner is top of the line, and the stiffest in the Challenger family. For most skiers with average to slightly higher volume feet, Challenger fits absolutely incredibly. Even if you have a wider foot, or a higher instep, this can be a great choice for you. The liner can be heat molded (over and over and over), but really this is not necessary, as it will mold itself to your foot during the first few days you ski in it.
Not Sure About the Fit??
Call us toll free at 1-8PROSKIGUY and talk to one of our expert boot fitters.
Our boot fitters are some of the best in the business
and will do there best to help you figure out the best boot for your foot and your skiing
Call or email us with any questions. Thanks for looking.
9:30 to 5:30 Pacific time
We Also Recommend
2019 Dynastar Legend X 88 snow skis with PRX 12 bindings